Over the last three years, Van Kam has been sponsoring the B.C. Junior Women’s Curling Team on their road to win the championships. On January 3rd, that road came closer to the end when the ladies took home the win for the Provincial Championship with the final score of 11-3. The ladies played against the home team (Team Brown) in Kamloops. With over 130,000 TV views tuned in for the game, they made us very proud!
The girls are off to Stratford, ON on Jan 21st to compete for the Canadian National Junior Curling Championship title. More info here.
The Semi and Finals will broadcast on TSN on Jan 30th & 31st. If or better yet when they win, they will be going off to Erzurum, Turkey for the WORLD junior championships!
Meet the team:
Skip: Sarah Daniels
Third: Marika Van Osch
Second: Dezaray Hawes
Lead: Megan Daniels
Coaches: Katie Witt & Ernie Daniels
Let’s be honest, eco-friendly initiatives aren’t new. Many companies have taken the necessary steps to a more cleaner, healthier environment. But when we’re dealing with an industry like ours (trucking & transport), becoming environmentally friendly isn’t the easiest task to achieve. We have taken many steps to reduce our carbon footprint, and protecting our environment. Here are just some example of what we do as a team towards becoming GREEN.
1. We are constantly monitoring our trucks with our on-board systems to record vehicle speed, and fuel consumption, idle times and braking patterns. This helps us regulate our fuel consumption to ensure we are being as efficient as possible. Our drivers also use electronic logs to reduce paper consumption & save trees!
2. We also ensure our city trucks automatically shut down after 3 minutes of idling. We recycle our empty oil containers & scrap metal. We reuse fuel & antifreeze when possible. All of our materials are recycled by
3. All of our tires are maintained in house, and we are registered with Tire Stewardship BC to ensure all of our tires are disposed of responsibly.
4. All of our used batteries are recycled through Phil’s Battery Service.
5. Our new terminal in Kelowna is built using Structural Insulated Panels and Cross Laminated Timber to save energy by using beetle kill wood. What this means is that we avoided 80 metric tons of carbon dioxide which equals to keeping 26 cars off the road for a year & enough energy saved to operate a home for 11 years.
Read more about VanKam’s green initiatives…
The Northern BC Region is excited to announce that we have secured a new agent in Fort St. John! Commencing on Tuesday, May 19th North Peace Transport Ltd. will be taking over all local deliveries and pickups on our behalf in Fort St. John, Taylor and the surrounding area. Continue reading
Fall 2014 was an exciting time for Van-Kam Freightways Ltd. as we completed the construction of a new state of the art terminal in Prince George.